The Society of Friends of Bayreuth was born in 1949 from the common desire of the composer’s grandsons, Wieland and Wolfgang Wagner, along with a circle of devoted Wagner fans, to revive the Festival.
In 70 years, some 12,500 people contributed 133 million euros to the preservation of the Festspielhaus and the financing of the Festival’s productions.
The Society is today one of the 4 members of Bayreuth GmbH, along with:
- The Federal Republic of Germany
- The Free State of Bavaria
- The City of Bayreuth.